For better health and better sleep during menopause
• Cut down on alcohol and coffee.
• Avoid spicy food.
• Exercise for at least 20 minutes, three times a week.
• Use relaxation techniques such as yoga and breathing exercises.
• For insomnia, try eating a light snack before bedtime that is mostly carbohydrates and has a small amount of protein that’s high in tryptophan, an amino acid that aids sleep. Some sources of tryptophan include soy and dairy products, lentils and seeds.
• Go to bed at the same time every night.
• Sleep in a dark room.
• Incorporate foods containing lignans, a phytonutrient, into your diet. They’re found in flaxseeds, whole grains, legumes, and some fruits (particularly berries) and vegetables.