3. Modified Upright Row to Overhead Arm Press
Works: front, sides and back of shoulders
1. Stand with your feet hip-width apart, your knees slightly bent, and a medium dumbbell in each hand. Place your arms down in front of thighs with palms facing you. Roll your shoulders back and down to keep them from raising up or rounding forward. Move your arms up and along the front of your body while bending arms at the elbows away from your sides as you raise the dumbbells to chest height. Palms should be facing you. Stop when your upper arms are parallel to the floor (shown, left)
2. From there, flip your arms and the dumbbells directly upward so your elbows are now pointing down toward floor, and you’re holding the dumbbells above your shoulders. Straighten your arms as you raise them over your head (shown, right).
3. Reverse this sequence by lowering arms back to shoulder height, palms forward, elbows pointing to floor.
4. Hold elbows so they once again point out from your right and left sides (as at top). Then lower your arms down to the starting position with your palms facing you. Do eight to 12 reps.